of Hamilton College Conner Rood ’23 scored 20 points and the Continentals defeated Texas Lutheran University 85-83 Wednesday afternoon at Bulldogs’ Memorial Gym.
Hamilton won two of three games in Texas and improved his record to 3-1. Texas Lutheran, a member of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference, fell 3-3 overall.
How it happened
- Mason Green of the Bulldogs tied the score at 72-72 on a 3-pointer with 4:46 in the second half.
- The Continentals finally took the lead with a 9-3 run that started with a jumper in the paint by Eric Anderson ’23 with 3:12 remaining. patrick mogan ’23 made two free throws and after a trifecta from Texas Lutheran’s Easton Allen, Anderson responded with a long-range basket. Two more free throws by Mogan led to 81:75 with 1:51 to go.
- The Bulldogs didn’t regain possession until Riley Fornerette took two free throws to close their deficit to two points, 82-80, with 13 seconds remaining.
- Rood was immediately fouled, restoring the four-point lead. Green pocketed a 3-pointer to make it 84-83, but there were only three seconds left.
- Teja Singh ’25 was fouled with a second remaining in the inbounds game. Singh made the first and missed the second, and Anderson grabbed the offensive rebound as time ran out.
- Hamilton took an 11-1 lead in the first three minutes. The Continentals led by up to 12 points at 18-6 to a melee jumper by Rood at 13:32 in the first half.
- Texas Lutheran put on a 16-3 sprint to take its first lead 22-21 with 8:58 to go. Neither team led the rest of the half by more than five points as Hamilton came into the dressing room at 42-39.
- The score stood at 49-49, leaving 16:42 in the second half as the Continentals scored 11 of the next 14 points. Owen Kane ’25 scored four points during the run, including two free throws, leading to the 60-52 with 11:49 left. The Bulldogs didn’t even draw again until Green’s basket was left at 4:46.
- Rood was 6 of 8 from the field and 6 of 6 at the free throw line.
- Hank Morgan ’25 made three 3-pointers and ended up with 16 points, four assists and two steals.
- Anderson had 15 points, eight rebounds and two steals.
- Singh recorded 12 points and four assists, and Mogan added a dozen.
- Xavier Phillips led Texas Lutheran with 19 points and Fornerette added 16 and five assists.
- Allen registered 15 points and seven boards and Green scored 14.
- The Continentals shot 54.8 percent from the floor and 17 to 21 at the line (81 percent) in the first half for the game.
- Hamilton had a 44-20 point lead in the suit.
- The Bulldogs made 12 of 25 shots from beyond the arc for 48 percent.
The Continentals play La Roche University in the first round of the Rochester Institute of Technology Harold J. Brodie Tournament on Saturday, November 26 at 7 p.m