Thanksgiving is a special time of year when loved ones gather and give thanks (and have a few arguments here and there).
As with any holiday, the actual day is pretty hectic, especially when you have to defrost a turkey, bake a cake and welcome the family – all at the same time.
So it’s inevitable that you might forget an ingredient or two for one of the many side dishes you prepare. You might realize when the day comes that you need some party games to keep the kids busy while the adults make mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Maybe you need more festive decorations to liven up your table. Or, worst of all, you forgot to pick up the main event: the turkey!
All of this requires a quick trip to Walmart.
But before you pack up and hit the road, it’s important to confirm if Walmart is even open on Thanksgiving. Many big stores, including Target and Trader Joe’s, are choosing to close their doors on Thanksgiving to give employees time to rest and recharge before the Black Friday madness kicks in. Speaking of Black Friday, Walmart has some epic deals — but does that mean it’ll be closed on Thanksgiving to prepare? Read on to find out.
What are Walmart’s Thanksgiving hours?
Unfortunately, Walmart will not be open on Thanksgiving. “All of our stores (supercenters and neighborhood markets) will be closing on November 24, 2022, the Thanksgiving Day,” a Walmart spokesman tells TODAY.com.
In an interview with Savannah Guthrie on TODAY, Walmart US CEO John Furner said that opening on Thanksgiving is “a thing of the past.” That means one thing (and one thing only): you’ll have to go elsewhere to pick up Last-Minute Turkey Day Essentials this year and all years to come.
Where else can you shop on Thanksgiving?
Good news for you: Not everyone is following Walmart’s example. The following stores are open on Thanksgiving, many with modified holiday hours.
- SUMMIT: The shops are open with limited opening hours. Many are open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Find the opening hours of your local shop here.
- Albertson’s: The shops are open with limited opening hours. Most shops open at 6am but close early. Find your local store opening hours here.
- food lion: Shops open at regular time and close at 3pm. You can find the opening hours of your local shops here.
- The fresh market: The shops are open with limited opening hours. Find your local store opening hours here.
- Giant: Shops, including convenience stores, are open from 6am to 5pm. Pharmacies in the store are open from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m
- HEB: Shops are open from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The pharmacies in the shop remain closed.
- Kroger: Shops close at 4:00 p.m. You can find the opening hours of your local shops here.
- Meijer: Most shops are open from 6am to 5pm. Find the opening hours of your local shops here.
- Ralph: Shops close at 10pm. The pharmacies in the shops remain closed.
- Safety Way: The shops are open with limited opening hours. Find your local store opening times here.
- sprouts: Shops are open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m
- Stop & Shop: The shops are open with limited opening hours. Find your local store opening times here.
- Wegman’s: Most shops close at 4pm. Select locations including Northborough, Chestnut Hill, Burlington, Westwood and Medford will remain closed throughout the day. Find your local store opening hours here.
- Whole Food Market: Most shops are open with modified hours, but select shops are closing their doors. Find your local store opening hours here.
This article first appeared on TODAY.com. More from TODAY: