free stats

Details of warrant allegations of abuse at Wallingford Daycare – NBC Connecticut

There are new and disturbing details of what police say happened to several children at a Wallingford daycare center.

It’s all in the arrest warrant for Brenda Fornal and her boyfriend Grant Freer. The couple was arrested on Tuesday.

Fornal faces multiple felonies, including nine counts of causing harm to a minor and one count of fourth-degree sexual assault. Freer was charged with conspiracy to harm a child.

Neighbors are surprised when they hear about the alleged horrors that unfolded in the house.

“I was floored. I was really shocked,” said neighbor Anne Marie Roggiero.

The warrants outline the ongoing alleged abuse. In an eight-year-old child, it started at the age of four or five. The document says nine children were beaten, a girl was held naked in front of Freer, and several children were frequently forced into their own urine and vomit.

“And I’m so sorry for the kids and I feel terrible for them and the parents,” Roggiero said.

Fornal was often spotted outside with the kids and Roggiero says she was always nice to her. Fornal picked up Roggiero’s son after school one afternoon and Roggiero said he had a blast.

The abuse allegations came to light in August when an 11-year-old child made a four-hour audio recording using a phone he tucked into his shorts. His mother listened and reportedly heard threats and verbal abuse for the first three minutes.

In this recording, the warrant alleges that Fornal spoke to a six-year-old and said, “If you don’t answer me, I will cut you.” [expletive] Tongue off.” According to the report, noises followed as the child was thrown around.

The older boy told investigators he took the shot because he didn’t want to leave the daycare, knowing the other children were being abused.

“It’s very disturbing and sad to hear that a child has to go through something like this, whether it’s physical or verbal abuse,” Wallingford Police Department Officer Alex Torres said. “But I’m glad that our detective team did a great job.”

They began their investigation in August when this recording was shared with state officials. The children underwent forensic interviews at the Yale Child Abuse Clinic in New Haven.

Detectives found probable cause to charge Fornal. She was released on $125,000 bail. Greer was released on $1,000 bail.

No one answered the door at the closed daycare home on Ridgetop Road. But the warrant says the children, once inside, described Fornal as mean, punching and kicking them every day and leaving a two-year-old child in a cot for five hours.

The child reportedly hit his head on the cot, leaving a quarter-sized wound, and he would “eat large amounts of food” when he returned to his parents.

“There have been no service calls for this residence, so we were initially shocked to hear about it,” Torres said.

State records show that Fornal has been licensed to operate a day care center since 1997.

In a statement, the Early Childhood Office said:

“Upon being informed of the serious allegations, the CT Office of Early Childhood took immediate action to summarily (i.e., immediately) suspend her license. Instead of participating in the adjudicatory suspension process, the family educator has given her permission.”

The Children and Families Department was investigating the allegations along with the Wallingford Police Department.

And neighbors say the charges don’t match what they know about her.

“She was always very nice,” Roggiero said. “She texted me and let me know my packages were at the door or if anyone had left anything. She was always outside with the kids. She was watching and everyone was playing and — I’m really shocked.”